How to Help
How to Help RM Athletics
The interscholastic athletic program at RM includes competition in 20 sports, with 27 varsity-level teams and 13 junior varsity-level teams, offering approximately 900 athletic roster spots during the year.
To run at current levels, RM Athletics spends around $200,000 a year. Of that $200,000, MCPS funds about $60,000. After ticket sales and other athletic department income, the athletic department shortfall is about $90,000. To help raise money MCPS allows high schools to have a Booster Clubs which provide financial support to the school. RMHS Athletic Booster Club is a 501c3 not-for-profit organization. Contributions are always needed and are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.
How to Help
- Donate each season. If donating for more than one student athlete, please do this for each student. Donate Online or by Mail
- Donate in person at the New Family BBQ, Meet the Coach Night, or Back To School Night
- Parents are reminded of the Athletic Department financial need every season their child plays on a team and are welcome to contribute seasonally.
Support our Fundraisers –
- Start the season off right by making sure your athlete and their team are using the team’s TeamSnap account. TeamSnap is a tool for coaches, players and parents to get team messages, team and parent rosters, schedule updates and more. If your coach doesn’t have a consistent communication plan, ask for it.
- Sign up for the Athletic Newsletter by going to the Constant Contact button on the Home Page.
- Come to games
- Come out to restaurant nights
- Buy Mulch – Athletic Department biggest fundraiser held in March/April. More info at RMmulch.org
- Advertise your local business with our Banner and Website advertising program
- Shop at the Booster’s Spirit Shack to get RM gear during Thursday lunch & at many sporting events.
- Buy A Rockville Reward Card because when you Spend $25, RM Gets $25 and you get discounts that you can use all year. See the great discounts that come with the Rockville Reward Card
The Booster Club is the not-for-profit volunteer group that helps athletics organize and raise funds. Volunteers are always needed
Fundraising to Help Athletics
- Concession Stand – A fun way to help and meet new people. Work an event or help shop. The 5 home football games represent over 50% of our concession stand revenue. Organizing help needed for Fall, Winter, Spring. Game day help needed all year. Raises approx. $10,000 a year
- Donations– Someone who is kind and generous with their time and who likes to find others who are kind and generous with their money. Couple hours each sport season. Raises approx. $8,000-$15,000 a year
- Mulch Sale– Held in March/April of each year. The biggest fundraiser of the year doesn’t run without lots of support. Needs organizing help, pre-sale help, day of help and spreading day help. Raises approx.. $25,000-$35,000 a year
- Rockville Reward Card Coordinator – This is an easy to administer fundraiser that needs Fall and Winter help. Most work is done in August and November. Help make the schedule handout and help coaches promote the program. Raises approx. $18,000 a year
- Spirit Shack Sales – Design, purchase and sell all things RM. Sells approx. $20,000 of goods per year
- Sponsorship and Restaurant Nights – Recruit new and existing sponsors. About 10-20 hours in August and September and some follow up after. Raises approx. $7,000 a year
Programs to Help Athletics
- Team Parents– Help the team organize rides, senior nights, concession stand coverage and more. Works with the coach to improve communication with tools such as TeamSnap.
- Event Organizers – The Booster Club is at its best when it can do more than just raise money. Help with events like: Dodgeball, Open House, Golf Outing, Fun Runs, or make an idea of you own come to life.
- Communications – Help promote, RM, RM Athletics and our student athletes
- Social Media Help – Twitter, Facebook
- E-Newsletter– 30 minutes a week to help keep the RM community up to date
- Website Updates on a Word Press Platform– 15-30 minutes a week.
- Scholarship – The booster club gives away 5 $750 scholarships in May of each year. Committee needed to review application and interview applicants.
- President – Admittedly not the best job but rewarding nonetheless. The booster club has a a great framework and good core of volunteers so this job is good for someone who is organized, good at recruiting others to help and not afraid to jump in when something needs to be done.
- Vice President – Want to help keep events and activities organized but don’t have time to be at a lot of things? We have two positions – VP Programs and VP of Fundraising. You’re able to pick the kind of things you want to help with.
- Secretary – Great job for those who are organized, like to see how the group runs and want to contribute as you have time
- Treasurer – Great way to help the organization run without needing to be at every event. Quickbooks knowledge helpful but not required.